Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Best Magazines Ever

Congratulations to my former colleagues at Advanstar Dental Media on two fronts.

First, for their recent Neal Award for Best Start-up Publication for Modern Hygienist, a magazine that remains a source of extreme pride for me. My highest publishing career goal was to one day launch a successful magazine. Thanks to Advanstar, I got my opportunity with MH, and I firmly believe it is the best hygiene book out there.

Congrats to Christine Waring and her phenomenal design team; Maria Perno Goldie, MH's graceful and intelligent Editor; Thais Carter, whose spirit, wit and insight inform every page; Publisher and all-around good guy John Grasha; and Richard Fischer, the VP who believed and made it happen. Together they have created a magazine whose writing and overall look-and-feel perfectly capture my philosophy that there is no excuse for trade publications to subscribe to lower quality standards than news-stand pubs. After all, it's people's livelihood we're covering.

It's a philosophy I carry with me in my new position at Dentalcompare, the only enterprise I consider uniquely capable of serving dentists and the dental industry online with the same professionalism, integrity, commitment to excellence, spirit and technical sophistication that I have experienced at the best publishing houses. I came aboard two short months ago with the goal of creating THE online source for dental practice development. With the foundation of tools I inherited from the folks who built the site, it will be a short time indeed until we hit that goal.

For those who don't know (and I assume that's most of you) the Neal Award is the premiere award in business-to-business publishing, kind of the Pulitzer for trade magazines.

Second, congrats to Advanstar on its recent sale to buyout firm Veronis Suhler Stevenson for $1.142 billion. The new money says it will keep the current management team in place... a damn smart move, as Advanstar's upper ranks boast the brightest talent in the publishing and trade-show biz. I look forward to seeing how the infusion of cash, and, I'm sure, new spirit will make the best titles in dentistry even better.

1 comment:

Serna said...

The attending obstetrician then performed an emergency C-section. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, the demand for registered nurses alone will increase by 35%, adding another 700,000 jobs to the marketplace. When you wish to take up one of the travel nursing assignments, you must join the best among the various traveling nurse agencies. Nursing Assistant Cna Salary Fort Worth Tx